What get's you into a RPG?

Anything about RPGs could be discussed here.

Which things catch your attention and create fascination to get you into the game?

Good graphics.
No votes
A fine intro sequence.
No votes
The first cut-scene.
No votes
Easy to learn controls.
No votes
Interesting and motivating first quest.
20%
An epic first fight.
No votes
Many possibilities to choose from.
10%
The soundtrack gives me chills.
20%
The main character is unusual.
No votes
The game has a special mood that I can relate to.
50%

Total votes : 10

What get's you into a RPG?

Postby fallen_hero » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I often wonder what make's one play a RPG from the start to the very end while other RPG's are started but never finished?

Please give your vote (you can choose two items) and a short description what get's you into a RPG? Or in other words: which things should appear at the start of the game that make you play it and keep you interested to let you further play it?

Why do I ask you this? I like to play RPG's and have a lot of them. Some of them quickly get my attention and let me play it to the end while other's are more or less uninteresting and put on a pile for later checking out again. Would like to know what you think about this.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Re: What get's you into a RPG?

Postby subbassman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Ha! It was hard to decide. I think it's the mood for me. :)
Good list anyway.

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks for your vote, glad to see the choice ain't easy and the list seems to fit.

I've voted for Interesting and motivating first quest and The soundtrack gives me chills. First thing should be obvious. I want to know how the story continues and what will happen next.

The soundtrack ist often underrated IMHO. But to me as a person who like's music a lot it catches my attention. I also love to hear soundtracks that are available as OST CD. It adds a lot to the atmosphere and the excitement of playing a game for me. Just try it out with your favorite game - mute the music, sfx and all the other stuff and you'll surely see/hear what I mean. :shock:

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah, soundtrack is important. What a pity Wasteland didn't have any :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am

Yep! Besides the memory problem it can also be a thing they wanted to be this way. Unbearable silence after the apocalypse - also a way of supporting the atmosphere.

But it doesn't have to be in-game music. Sometimes it's already enough if the intro / title screen comes with great music. Or even the on-disk manual. Besides all the other great stuff Newcomer provides, it's still so often on my mind since it has these great music that plays while the intro sequence shows and while reading the on-disk manual.

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm

The last single player game I played was Fallout 3. It had a real great start.

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 pm

subbassman wrote:The last single player game I played was Fallout 3. It had a real great start.

I haven't played it yet. What was so special about the start? Was it the intro sequence, the first mission or what was it that got you?

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:58 pm

fallen_hero wrote:
subbassman wrote:The last single player game I played was Fallout 3. It had a real great start.

I haven't played it yet. What was so special about the start? Was it the intro sequence, the first mission or what was it that got you?

The "intro" was good, but the first area with its characters was was just simply very well crafted and very "Falloutish" for me. :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Postby fallen_hero » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 pm

subbassman wrote:

The "intro" was good, but the first area with its characters was was just simply very well crafted and very "Falloutish" for me. :)

Would you have it given a second chance if the first look and area wasn't that good and familar?

fallen_hero
Enhanced Newcomer

Postby subbassman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:58 pm

fallen_hero wrote:
subbassman wrote:

Would you have it given a second chance if the first look and area wasn't that good and familar?

Maybe because of the Name... :)

subbassman
Site Admin

Return to General Roleplaying Discussion